Halloween is just around the corner and scary movies are playing on all the channels. Just like in those scary movies, something could be lurking in your own home and you don’t even know it! We are, of course, talking about mold! This quiet stalker is bad for you and your home. There are several types, so let’s take a closer look at your enemy:
Categories of House Mold
Mold is a microorganism that grows in a damp, dark, environment. Also known as mildew, the fungus thrives at a temperature between 40 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit and can be found in various colors, sizes, and textures. While the original size of a mold spore is too small to be seen through the naked eye, the ugly dark patches on the walls and roof is the most common sign of a house mold infestation. Although there are several types of house molds, they can be broadly categorized into three types:
- Toxigenic Mold: This is one of the most toxic forms of mold and can be lethal. Therefore, in case you suspect an infestation of toxigenic mold in your home, contact professional mold restoration and remediation services right away.
- Pathogenic Mold: If any family member of yours has a weak immune system or already suffers an allergic reaction, then pathogenic mold can result in aggravating their symptoms. However, pathogenic mold is also non-toxic.
- Allergenic Mold: Even though non-toxic, allergenic mold can cause an allergic reaction such as asthma.
Common Types of House Mold
No matter the type of mold in your home, they all have one thing in common, they can destroy the quality of your life, and they thrive in moisture. Here is a look at the four most common types of house mold:
- Aspergillus: One of the most common types of house mold, Aspergillus is pathogenic in nature and can be lethal to those who have a weak immune system. It is usually found inside the HVAC systems and can cause respiratory diseases such as asthma.
- Mucor: Although Mucor is allergenic in nature, one of its variants is extremely toxic. Mucor is usually found in moist areas, making soil the perfect place for the house mold to thrive in. However, it can easily creep into your home and can infest wet mattresses and carpets.
- Penicillium: Although commonly known as a source of a lifesaving drug, penicillium is a blush-green allergenic mold that can cause inflammation in the heart and trigger asthma.
- Stachybotrys: Otherwise known as “Black Mold,” Stachybotrys is toxigenic in nature. It thrives in damp and dark conditions such as the ventilation system of your home. Stachybotrys infestation is responsible for destroying the air quality in your living spaces.
Hire the Best Mold Restoration Professionals in Spokane
Do you suspect mold infestation in your home? Reach out to STOP Restoration of Spokane today. The professionals will use industry-grade tools and techniques to eliminate mold damage from your property and restore your home in no time.