The temperature is dropping in Albuquerque, NM as we head into the fall and winter seasons. Using your fireplace as a heating source can be a money saver, but you need to use it properly and be sure that your fireplace and chimney are well maintained for the safety of your family and home.

Basic Safety

  • Do not leave fires unattended. Make sure that there are no flames or glowing embers in your fireplace before you leave the house or go to bed.
  • Keep a non-flammable rug in front of the fireplace to prevent any sparks from burning your carpet or hardwood flooring.
  • Do not allow children or animals to play near a lit fire.
  • Keep your fireplace doors open! It may be your first instinct to think that closing them is safest, but this is actually not the case because the high temperatures can cause your glass to shatter. Open doors ensure your fire has a good airflow which will minimize buildup in your chimney and actually help your fire burn more efficiently. Instead of closing your fireplace doors, shut your metal screen.

Maintenance

  • Have your fireplace and chimney regularly inspected. On average, you should have a reputable expert take a close look at everything at least every two years. Many complications can occur that aren’t visible to the untrained eye.
  • Clean the area where you place logs (the firebox) at least once per week if you are frequently using your fireplace. You should only have about an inch of ash in the bottom of your fireplace, if there is more than that, it’s time to clean.
  • Always use a chimney cap to prevent any debris from falling down into your chimney and creating a blockage. It’s important that your smoke has some way to escape so you don’t have carbon monoxide seeping into your home. A chimney cap will also keep wild animals from nesting inside your chimney and turning it into their new home.
  • Make sure that your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are always working. You should be changing your batteries every year and in the months when you are using your fireplace, you should be testing your detectors every few weeks. In the event that a mistake happens and your house catches fire, this could save lives and your home.

If disaster strikes and your home happens to suffer from a fire, evacuate your home and call 911 immediately! Once the fire is extinguished, call the Service Team of Professionals before soot and smoke odor are able to settle into the surfaces of your home and its belongings. Soot will quickly stain walls if left untreated. Paint and wallpaper need to be chemically cleaned which requires proper precautions and protective clothing. This is best left to be handled by experts who are professionally trained in fire damage restoration services. Odor from smoke will quickly latch onto porous materials like furniture, carpet, draperies and clothing. Most household sprays that you can purchase yourself will only cover up odor instead of actually removing it and in some situations objects may not be able to be saved.

How STOP Restoration Can Help With Smoke and Fire Damage Restoration

The experts at STOP Restoration of Albuquerque, NM are certified in deodorization through the IICRC and are expertly trained to identify and eliminate smoke related odors. We also understand the importance of assessing the safety of your home or business’s structure after fire damage occurs. If you or someone you know experiences a fire in their home or business, call us at (505) 892-3112. We are available 24/7 for emergency services.