Mold and mildew can seriously threaten the health of the occupants in a home or commercial building. This is because they not only damage the structure of the building but can also cause respiratory problems and allergic reactions. Hence, it is important to know the common signs of mold and mildew and how to remove them.
Signs of Mold and Mildew
One of the most obvious signs of mold and mildew is their musty smell. If you notice a strange smell that persists despite cleaning and airing out your building, it could indicate mold growth.
Additionally, visible signs of mold include black or green spots on walls, ceilings, or floors. You may also see fuzzy growth on fabrics or carpets. Water stains and discoloration on surfaces are also indications of mold growth.
Common Types of Molds and Their Ideal Growing Conditions
- Alternaria: This mold thrives in damp environments and is commonly found in bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. It can also grow on plants and soil.
- Aspergillus: Aspergillus mold is found in warm and humid climates and can grow on damp or decaying organic material, including wood, fabrics, and carpets. It can also grow in heating and air conditioning systems.
- Cladosporium: Cladosporium mold grows in damp and humid conditions, such as basements, bathrooms, and attics. It can also be found on carpets, fabrics, and wood surfaces.
- Penicillium: This mold thrives in damp and cool environments and can be found on food, wallpaper, and insulation. It can also grow in HVAC systems.
- Stachybotrys: Also known as black mold, this type of mold thrives in extremely wet environments and is commonly found in areas with water damage, such as flooded basements or leaking pipes. It can also grow on wood, paper, and other organic materials.
How to Remove Mold and Mildew
Mold and mildew removal requires expertise and specialized equipment. Therefore, it is important to seek professional help from a mold remediation company to ensure that the problem is solved completely.
The first step in mold removal is identifying the moisture source causing mold growth. Next, the remediation team will isolate the affected area and use HEPA filters to clean the air. They will also use specialized chemicals to remove mold and disinfect the area.
If you suspect your home or commercial building has mold or mildew, it is important to act fast. STOP Restoration of Chicago-West is a reliable and experienced mold remediation company that can help remove mold and mildew from your building.
Contact us today for a free consultation, and let us help you restore your home or commercial building to a safe and healthy environment.