Use these fall maintenance tips to keep your house in shape this winter.
- After all the leaves have fallen, clean out gutters and downspouts, flush them with water, and tighten brackets if necessary. Make sure drainage areas are unblocked by leaves and debris.
- Clean and replace the filters in your heating system.
- Cover outdoor air conditioning units with tarp or plastic air conditioning covers to prevent rusting.
- Paint the exterior of your home! The fall is the perfect time to paint outside since it’s cooler, and the humidity is lower.
- Turn off the valves to exterior hose bibs to prevent exterior water pipes from bursting when the weather gets below freezing. Make sure all the water is drained from the pipes by running the water until the pipes are empty. Water left there can freeze up, and damage the pipes.
- Trim dead branches off trees to prevent them from coming down and causing damage during a winter storm.
- Inspect windows and door frames for drafts and openings, and caulk and seal to prevent heat from escaping. Water can get into these openings and freeze, causing cracks and mold build up.
- Check your roof for missing and loose shingles. If you can’t get up there, call a roof contractor. Being proactive in the fall is easier than dealing with a roof leak during a snow storm.
We hope these tips help you get your home winter ready!
More Posts Like This