Want to know what exactly the Coronavirus is and how you can protect yourself from contracting it? Read on to find out!
COVID-19 has continued to spread terror across the world. People all over the world are facing government-sanctioned lockdowns to prevent the spread of Coronavirus. In such an atmosphere, there’s bound to be a lot of panic-ridden spread of wrong information. To effectively deal with the threat of COVID-19, you need to know everything there is about it.
So, here are some frequently asked questions about the COVID-19 and its prevention:
What is the novel Coronavirus or COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a virus strain, an infectious disease, which was first identified in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei Province and the most populous city in Central China. As there’s currently no vaccine for COVID-19, health experts all over the world are closely monitoring this widespread virus and how it reacts with the human body to discover a vaccine for it.
How does COVID-19 spread?
You can contract the virus from an infected person. It can spread from person to person via tiny respiratory droplets which are spread when an infected person exhales or coughs. People can catch COVID-19 from others who have the virus. You can also contract COVID-19 by touching a surface that has the virus on it and then touching your nose, eyes, or mouth. Moreover, you can also catch the virus if you breathe in the tiny droplets in the air from a person infected with COVID-19 who coughed or exhaled in your vicinity.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19 and how long do they take to appear?
COVID-19 symptoms show up within 2 to 14 days after exposure to the virus. The symptoms include tiredness, fever, and dry cough. Some patients might experience body aches, sore throat, nasal congestion, or diarrhea. The symptoms are often mild and show gradually, while some people get infected but don’t develop any symptoms of the virus at all. About 80% of people recover from COVID-19 without needing special treatment and only 1 out of 6 individuals who contract this virus become severely ill and have difficulty breathing. Older individuals with various medical problems such as heart problems, high blood pressure, and diabetes, and children are more likely to become seriously ill.
How is COVID-19 treated?
Currently, there is no FDA approved medicine for COVID-19. People who get infected with the virus are given supportive care such as fluids, rest, and medicines to control the fever, all ways to help relieve the symptoms. If the case is severe, then the treatment plan includes support to vital organs.
How can I protect myself from COVID-19?
To protect yourself from this infectious virus, you need to take the following steps:
- Wash your hands with water and soap for at least 20 seconds. If unavailable, thoroughly rub a hand sanitizer with 60% alcohol content on your hands. Make sure to get the spaces between your fingers and under your nails.
- Don’t touch your nose, eyes, or mouth with unclean hands.
- Wear a cloth face mask when in public to protect yourself and others form the virus. Leave the surgical and N95 marks for healthcare professionals who are on the frontline in the fight against COVID-19.
- Practice social distancing, don’t head out of your homes unnecessarily and when you do, maintain a 6-foot distance from other individuals.
- Don’t leave your home when you’re feeling sick.
- Cough and sneeze into a tissue and discard it right away. Wash your hands afterward.
- Clean your home and especially the frequently touched objects and surfaces with cleaning supplies and disinfectant wipes.
If you want to get your home professionally cleaned to avoid the risk of Coronavirus, then reach out to us today! We can be reached at (509) 260-8166. We service all of Spokane County including Spokane, Spokane Valley, Cheney, Liberty Lake, Deer Park and Mead.