After heavy rains, pooling water can be a big problem to handle. Even a small amount of standing water in your home can spell disaster. S.T.O.P. Restoration of Albuquerque, NM, wants to make sure our local community knows how to protect their homes against water damage. As autumn approaches, here are some steps you can take now to make your home more water-resistant.
Washing machines are a common source of flooding in homes every year. A broken hose, worn seal, or cracked valve can drip water onto your walls or flooring and seep into the material quickly.
- If left untreated, this water damage can develop into a mold problem, meaning a long restoration process.
- To prevent washing machine mishaps, inspect your hoses and valves to make sure there is no dripping or pooling water.
- Read your machine’s manufacturer recommendation for how often to replace hoses and other hardware.
- When looking for a replacement, choose high-pressure hoses over standard hoses, as they’re made to last longer and are not much more expensive.
Toilets are another common cause of residential water damage because of clogs or leaks.
- To make sure your toilet doesn’t overflow, only flush recommended paper products and make sure your tank has no weak points or hairline cracks.
- If your toilet is overflowing, avoid flushing to limit more water entering the bowl.
Refrigerators are the final culprit of in-home water damage.
- At some point, we’ve probably all kicked a stray ice cube under the fridge, but it’s good practice to avoid doing this.
- The small areas behind and under a refrigerator can sometimes hide a pool of water, resulting in long-term water damage to your floors or mold growth on the walls.
- Inspect and clean around your home appliances regularly to make sure they are watertight and that there are no water spots or apparent leaks.
Whether you have a leaking dishwasher, broken pipes, or a cracked water tank, the team at S.T.O.P. Restoration can clean up any water damage they may have caused. We can also recommend local experts for plumbing repairs or leak detection.
We hope you never have to suffer water damage in your home, but if you do, our team is available 24/7 to offer you a lasting solution.
For questions about our water damage restoration services, or to schedule our restoration services, call us at (505) 892-3112.