Mold is a word that many people don’t want to hear associated with their home. It is almost a taboo subject. Mold growth is something that can occur when moisture is present for longer than 48 hours. It is especially common when there is poor ventilation. If you notice that you have mold growing in your home, you will want to locate the source of the moisture, and call us, Service Team of Professionals, the mold experts.

Mold isn’t something that you should necessarily stress over, but you definitely want to take care of it as it arises. Mold is an indicator that the moisture levels are higher than they should be. Either the humidity in your home is too high, you have poor ventilation, or you may have some water damage occurring from a leak somewhere. Common leaks that cause mold can be roof leaks, windows that have lost their seal, and leaking pipes. If you notice leaks are occurring, promptly get those repaired to help fend off mold growth. Poor ventilation is a large contributor to mold growth in bathrooms with vents that either don’t work or aren’t being used, laundry rooms without good ventilation, and even cooking areas without hood vents. Making sure you have proper ventilation and no active leaks is the first step to keeping mold growth at bay.

If you happen to notice mold growth occurring, the first step prior to removing it is to get some personal protective gear. Many people will not have any reaction to the mold, however some are sensitive and will have some allergic reactions such as nasal congestion, sore throat, eye irritations, and more. So protecting yourself against the mold spores is always the safest bet. Next, depending on the severity of the mold, you will want to start cleaning it up. If it’s a small amount in your bathroom or laundry room you can use a wet rag with a water/bleach mix to wipe it away. If it is more extensive than that, you will want to look into using stronger chemicals. The other option is to give us a call and let us handle your mold situation.

One thing that is important to remember when dealing with mold is to set up a containment. Mold spores can and will be set free once you start cleaning it up so it is important to contain the spores in the air to one area rather than spreading through your house. If you have the ability to filter the air within that space or vent to the outside through a window or door, that’s even better. We use an air scrubber that circulates and cleans the air over and over to avoid spreading the spores.

If you find yourself with mold in your home, please feel free to give us a call. We are happy to give some advice or even a free quote to take care of the pesky particles. We want your home to be the safe, and happy place you know it to be so we are happy to help in any way we can.

Call Service Team of Professionals at (503) 966-4131, 24/7 for any water, fire, smoke, or mold needs.