The Holidays can be both fun and hectic. While we understand how fun it is to decorate and you’re your home “merry & bright,” Christmas trees and lights can be a fire hazard. STOP Restoration of Albuquerque, NM is here to give you some safety tips that will help make your holiday enjoyable and safe!
Live trees are beautiful and fragrant, but are much more likely to catch fire than an artificial tree. Here are some tips to remember when you go pick out and decorate your live Christmas tree:
- Dry trees with needles that easily fall off are a big fire hazard. Pick out a tree that has healthy green needles that are hard to pluck. Your tree’s limbs should also be pliable, avoid trees that have brittle, easily broken branches.
- Keep your tree at least three feet away from things like fireplaces, radiators, heat vents and candles.
- Keep your tree watered to prevent it from drying out and becoming a fire hazard. We suggest you replenish your tree’s water daily.
- When your tree’s needles start shedding, it’s time to get rid of it. It’s recommended to dispose of your tree within four weeks of bringing it home. After this amount of time, it will have become very dry even if you have been careful to keep it watered.
- Before placing any lights on your tree, plug them in and check to make sure that they are operational. Replace any burnt out bulbs and make sure that no areas of the cord are worn.
- Make sure that you use outdoor use lights outside and indoor use lights inside. Outdoor lights are made to handle moisture buildup.
- Do not overload your circuits! If possible, try to use LED lights as are about 75% more efficient than incandescent lights.
- Turn off your lights each night. This will save on your energy bill and prevent any accidents from occurring while you’re asleep.
A house fire could quickly ruin your holiday season, but following these guidelines will decrease the likelihood of an accident. If disaster strikes and you do experience a fire during the holidays, STOP Restoration of Albuquerque, NM is here to help! Once your fire is extinguished, call STOP Restoration as soon as possible to mitigate fire damage and ensure your property is returned to its pre-fire damage condition as quickly and efficiently as possible. We are available 24/7 for emergency services and we can help you file an insurance claim if necessary. Call us at (505) 892-3112!