Should You Clean Mold on Your Own?

Mold is everywhere in one form or another – it is in the dust, in the air, in the crumbs you leave on the counter, and in the fallen leaves on the ground. It is the reason your bread turns gray when you leave it open to the air. However, visible mold in your home usually results from a maintenance problem. When mold is given a moist environment and some sort of nutrients – like drywall, it will grow and create unpleasant looking spots on ceilings, walls, and personal belongings.

When you see mold in your home, you might think about removing it on your own. Yes, you can clean out the mold accumulated on the grout in your shower but anything larger than three square feet requires a professional for three reasons.

1. Mold Could Spread

If the affected area is not properly contained and the air is permitted flow to unaffected areas, any restoration efforts will only disperse the mold throughout the house and compound the problem.

If mold is growing in an area, that section of the house should be properly contained during the mold removal work to ensure that mold spores do not spread to the rest of the home.

2. Chlorine Bleach Could be Risky

People generally attempt to remove mold spores with bleach. Common cleaners, including bleach, are not recommended for removing mold, as they are not able to completely kill the spores. Even biocides and fungicides do not completely eradicate mold spores. If moisture gets in the area again, mold will return. Furthermore, bleach and biocide fumes can be harmful to the health of those living in the home.

Professionals use special equipment and cleaning agents to remove the mold, ensuring that it does not come back.

3. Health Issues

Proper safety precautions must be taken before cleaning mold. Professionals wear protective clothing before they attempt to clean mold. You might not have access to safety equipment and if you start cleaning mold without it, you might inhale mold spores which can be dangerous to your health.

We are sure you now understand why Do It Yourself mold removal is a bad idea. If you ever experience a mold problem in your home, do not attempt to clean it on your own. Instead, leave the job to a team of trained professionals. Call STOP Restoration (S.T.O.P.). Our mold removal professionals will take care of any mold problem in your home so that you can breathe fresh and clean air again. They will take proper precautionary measures to ensure that mold does not spread and is removed completely.

For professional mold inspection, testing or mold restoration services in the Bucks, Montgomery, and Philadelphia area counties, contact S.T.O.P. at 844-777-STOP.