How Dangerous is Indoor Mold?

The fuzzy white patches on the basement floor, the orange film on the kitchen drain and the slimy black spots on the shower curtain – do you know what they are? We do – they are all indoor mold.

Mold refers to different types of fungi. Countless species of this microorganism may be found inside the house. Indoor mold can be smelly and unsightly but the problems that can result from it are extremely serious.

Dangers of Indoor Mold

Mold can damage any material it lives on, compromising structural integrity. It is also associated with health effects including infections and allergies. Mold growth in businesses, schools, and homes should be eliminated to prevent health issues and maintain structural integrity. Homeowners can clean up the mold if it covers a small area. Eliminating mold from larger areas require expertise. Moreover, specialists must wear proper protective equipment to prevent contact with mold.

Health Effects Associated with Indoor Mold

Mold can easily grow in damp environments inside the house. People who are exposed to mold sometimes complain of headaches, respiratory effects, and other symptoms. In addition to mold, indoor damp spaces may also harbor bacteria, dust mites, gasses, and other mold break-down products.

Mold allergies may produce symptoms similar to other allergies to substances in the air. These include:

  • Itchy nose
  • Runny/blocked nose
  • Sneezing
  • Itchy throat
  • Watery eyes

People who have asthma are also at an increased risk as their symptoms can get trigged by mold in the environment. Some mold species have been known to cause serious scarring and lung infections. In some asthmatics, inhaling aspergillus – a mold species – can lead to allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis; the condition that can affect breathing.  

Individuals with weak respiratory and immune systems – due to chronic conditions – are more susceptible to the adverse effects of indoor mold. Inhaling mold can lead to fatal consequences for people with specific blood disorders.

How to Prevent Mold Growth?

Controlling moisture is critical for preventing mold growth inside your home. Act quickly in the case of a spillage or leak and dry areas within 24-48 hours of exposure to moisture to prevent mold growth.

Another important factor is the level of humidity. Mold tends to grow when the level of moisture in the air inside the home is high. Increase ventilation by using a fan or opening windows to reduce the level of moisture within your home. Also, avoid moisture-producing activities – like drying clothes – inside the rooms to control humidity. 

If you see mold growth on any hard surface of your home, promptly clean it with commercial products. Dry the surface thoroughly afterward to prevent mold from returning.


If you believe that mold is growing inside your home but cannot figure out where it is hiding, contact the experts at STOP Restoration. Indoor mold is dangerous and can lead to several health problems. It can even be fatal for certain people. This is why we recommend you let experts attend to the mold problem inside your home. Our mold remediation experts will inspect your home and if they find mold, they will get rid of it so that you can breathe in clean air.

If you are looking for professional mold inspection, testing or mold restoration services in the Bucks, Montgomery and Philadelphia area counties call S.T.O.P. at 215-430-1290 or 844-777-STOP.