Mold is a type of fungus. In most situations, it is completely harmless but in excessive amounts and conditions it can cause structural damage to buildings and severe health problems for people and can even impact our pets.
Spores from mold are everywhere and thrive in warm, moist environments. Pipe leaks, sewer back-ups and water damage are the common events that provide the right conditions for mold growth. As mold consumes organic material like wood, paper, cotton and wool it produces that “musty” odor we all associate with mold.
Most molds don’t pose health hazards to healthy people but in high concentrations, it can trigger or worsen existing problems like hay fever and allergies. Overexposure can lead to respiratory and sinus problems as well as greater difficulty with asthma. Luckily, toxic molds that cause life-threatening problems are fairly rare.
At STOP we remediate mold by containing the area, reducing moisture to prevent further growth and removing the mold and its spores. Additionally, we always recommend you hire an Industrial Hygienist or an Indoor Environmental Specialist. They will test before and after we do our job to ensure we’ve mitigated everything and certify that your home or building is safe.
Lately, the summer thunderstorms and rain showers have brought heavier than normal amounts of precipitation to our region. These rains have caused many homes in ...Read More
A lot of people wonder this and are really hesitant about filing a claim because of the uncertainty or may be over zealous about filing for things that are ...Read More