Protecting your family from potential fire hazards is the top-most priority at home. Yet, very few homeowners are aware of the fire-fueling dangers present at their homes. You’ll be surprised by how the simplest of household items can trigger or spread the already blazing fire.
For your information, any substance with an ignition point lower than 90 degrees Fahrenheit is considered highly flammable. Keeping this in mind, the following household items can contribute to fire accidents:
The item that’s used multiple times a day, namely your cooking oil, is certainly a danger, which has already caused a large number of house fires around the world. When pans are left unattended on the stove, the cooking oil can easily ignite and put the entire kitchen on fire.
When faced with this situation, innocent homeowners try to put out the fire by throwing water on pans, which only causes greater combustion. You shouldn’t even try to carry the pan outside as the dripping oil can spread the fire. If the fire is minimal, the best way to react is to put a dish towel or a damp cloth on the fire for at least 30 minutes. If, however, the fire looks too big to handle, avoid getting close to the area and immediately call your local firefighting services.
Nail Polish and Its Remover
Both nail polish and nail polish remover contain acetone, a highly flammable substance. What's more frightening is that they don't need to be brought into contact with flames to cause a fire. Acetone produces vapors that will ignite any flames that come in their path, causing a fire to break out.
Hand sanitizers are made of alcohol, which is also flammable. More vapor rises off when alcohol heats up, which is not likely to happen, but if it does, it can easily cause a fire in your home. Hence, avoid carrying hand sanitizers wherever you go and never use matches or lighters near them.
Laundry detergents are among the most commonly used products at home, but unfortunately, almost all of them are flammable. These might include fabric softeners, stain removers, and pods. Besides making sure that they aren't exposed to naked flames, store them in a safe place.
Believe it or not, dried powdery food like flour can be a fire hazard too. Flour dust in the air will ignite rapidly when exposed to a naked flame. Thus, take caution when using flour.
Some of the flammable items are hiding in your garage too. Auto products such as antifreeze, brake fluids, oils, etc., must be used cautiously and stored appropriately after use.
Oranges carry a chemical called limonene, which happens to be flammable. This holds true for all other citrus fruits such as lemons. Make sure you aren’t close to a naked flame when you are squeezing or eating oranges
Now that you’re aware of the dangerous items in your home, be careful about their storage and use. If your there is a fire in your home, contact the Service Team of Professionals (STOP) today at (702) 803-3094.
Water damage should never be taken lightly. When water accumulates in your home, it can not only harm your personal belongings but also affect your health. Here ...Read More
Are you sure you and your staff are fully aware of the effects of commercial fire damage? While fire safety awareness and facilities are more accessible than ...Read More
Do you want to prevent sewage backup? Here is what you can do. Your sewage system is primarily designed to ensure an outward flow of water from your home. It ...Read More